Edgware u12s continued their good form in the cups today with a professional 4 – 0 win away to lower division Gadeside Rangers to put us into the last 16 of the Herts County Cup.

Gadeside were a solid enough side and thus we were always going to have to play a bit of football to ensure the win, and we did just that, making sure we were first to loose balls and using the ball well in possession.

With only 9 boys turning up to play, it made for hard work on a heavy pitch but everyone played their part.

There were not a lot of chances in the first half, albeit the tide of the game was very much with us.

We set out our stall early, building up well form the back, with Buddy’s distribution down the left being a particular highlight and the midfield four ensuring that they had the better of the early exchanges. Adam and Luke were more than Gadeside could handle, with Adam nipping at their heels every time they won possession and Luke dominating in the areal battles.

Dillan and Ben started out wide with James up front and whilst it took a little while for Ben and James to get on the same wavelength, it looked like only a matter of time until one of them broke through.

As it was, it was Ben who made the first impact, initially looking like he had taken on one too many players, but then somehow wriggling free with the ball to hit a shot past a very solid Gadeside keeper.

We did have other chances, and looked especially threatening from set-pieces, with Luke getting his head to a number of Adam’s corners, but we did not manage to convert again before half-time.

With no subs, we made no changes at half-time but encourage the boys to go out positively recognising that 1-0 is always a precarious score line.

The boys did not disappoint and when James made a break for goal it was Ben again that followed up to pick up his second of the game.

We did not relax at 2 – 0, we continued to defend well, with Ollie and Barsa playing very solidly and Barsa notably making some very solid interceptions when asked.

James was next to register when he neatly chipped the ball over the keeper having run on to a great through ball.

Having made a few changes to let Keiran stretch his legs, it was Buddy who turned in the ball at the near post to register our fourth and final goal of the day.

There were some really pleasing performances today, with Adam performance in centre mid-field being a highlight (his work rate, ball winning skills and thoughtful use of the ball when in possession) along with Ben’s domination down the left wing. The award for man of he match , given that there can only be one, was given to Adam.

We now move into the last 16 of the county cup.