Now that’s what I call a comeback !!!!!!!!! – u16s white

Now that’s what I call a comeback !!!!!!!!!

A cold damp morning in far flung Watford brought in the start of our 2015 campaign.

We faced Sun Sports in what historically has always been a tough fixture. The pitch however was in surprisingly good condition which allowed for some decent football to be played.

The first half was a pretty even affair with both teams having half chances none of which were converted. Our passing was better than of late but we still need to improve in this regards but there were signs of some distinct improvement and a healthy willingness to battle it out with the opposition. Sun Sports took the lead with about ten minutes of the first half remaining with a wickedly deflected shot which, had it not had its course so varied, Alex would have saved comfortably.

We battled back and Conall was only denied by a last ditch tackle when he was through on goal.  Other chances came and went, Henoc particularly saw a couple of efforts go wide, but we went into the half time break trailing by that solitary goal. An inspired team talk, ok more realistically a rousing plea from Jamie and myself that we could get something from the game seemed to do the trick as we started the second half in dominant fashion and created a number of good chances which we unfortunately failed to put away.

The opposition were now playing on the counter attack as our midfield started to dominate, the back four superbly marshalled by Shaan and Jake R were standing firm with Ethan sitting in front to add protection.Denzil and Rambo were overlapping to good effect with one great run from Rambo only halted by a cynical foul as he was driving into the box.

Once again however we were hit on the counter attack ten minutes into the half when the Sun Sport centre forward found himself one on one with Alex, who on this occasion was unable to stop the ball reaching the net. In light of our recent second half capitulations I feared the worst, Jamie decided to go with two up front which meant Henoc, Emmanuel and Jake E had to work even harder to supply Conall and James.

We still pressed and Simon was as usual pulling the strings and spraying the ball around to good effect. As we exerted more pressure we won a number of corners, with Zack now playing on the right wing it was now his job to deliver the corners, some of our earlier efforts on corners having been poor.Zack’s delivery was perfect and Denzil flying like a salmon (do salmon fly ??) headed home to bring us back into contention.

We were buzzing and on twenty five minutes Conall battled through into the box, a deft turn and sweet right right foot shot brought us a deserved equaliser.

James was now almost a one man human Dynamo and this spirit was clearly inspiring the rest of the team.

The game was there to be won, we were awarded another corner and in almost a repeat of our first goal another great pin point cross by Zack was met by James who forced his way between two defenders to head home ferociously, leaving their keeper stranded. For the first time in the game we were ahead.

As the minutes ticked by Sun Sports came back at us but we defended well with Emmanuel showing his prowess and strength to head clear on a couple of occasions when dangerous corners were launched into our penalty area.

With a couple of minutes remaining Simon and one of the Sun Sports players were sent off after a silly confrontation, I fear this will mean a three match ban and should serve as a lesson to all the team to keep their heads, no matter the provocation.

Fortunately we held on with Alex determined that nothing else was getting past him today.

As the full time whistle went the boys were ecstatic, a great comeback and a terrific battling performance. I wasn’t really able to tell the team how proud I was of them today as I had to rush off to a funeral, but I thought you were all great today and fully merited the win and the three points.

This one was for you Sharon.