Match report 11/03/19

Edgware Town U9

U9s lost 4-3 in a reversed fixture at a muddy and very windy London Colney.
We went 2-0 up with relative ease; moving the ball well and seeming comfortable. We were getting numbers forward and putting them under some decent pressure. Great to see a couple of examples from Saturday’s training – forward two, back one!- as we linked play. All good.
And then we collapsed and shipped four very soft goals before half time. Much of the opposition play came down our left side, catching our LB out of position or in hesitant possession a few times.
Second half saw us much more solid at the back, battling well in midfield and creating chances again. We should have done better with a few of them and there were several instances where a calmer decision in possession would have created opportunity. We got a goal back and were on top by the end but ran out of time.
I’m looking at the match as a 4-2 loss first half and a 0-1 win in the second!
Much to be pleased about but equally the same things (and players) continue to frustrate.

Edgware Town U10 Blues

Big win for u10 blues today…wonderful feeling when the drill you do in the week and immediately before the match actually affects the way the boys play so much. They used their width brilliantly….6-3 in the end, but we led 6-0 and took our foot off the gas way too much. Nice to get a W, boys walked off the pitch with their heads held high, lovely to see.

Edgware Town U10 Reds

ETFC u10 Reds drew 3-3 against Enfield Town in very tough windy conditions. We played with the wind first half but struggled to get going and came in 1-0 down at half time. It was a much better performance after the break as Joe Blackstein scored a great goal to level it up. We then let in a silly goal from a corner before Dexter Statt prodded in another equaliser. With 5 mins left Enfield broke away and hit us on the break to make it 3-2. With only seconds remaining Dexter popped up again in the box and slotted the ball past the keeper to deservedly draw the match. Our keeper Tommy Canter was a clear man of the match with some stunning saves. This was a thrilling match played in terrible conditions, so well done to both teams.

Edgware Town U11

It was a game of two halves today, as ETFC ground out a 1-0 win. Technically a home game but played at Enfield Rangers due to a waterlogged pitch at home, this was another game influenced by the weather. With the wind swirling, it was never going to be a classic and the boys again showed the resilience to win against very good opposition.

The first half was a scrappy affair, with the ‘Wares starting slowly possibly intimidated by Rangers’ physical play. Rangers also played well from the back, and kept ETFC limited to a counter-attacking strategy. Kaye was called into action straight away, making a couple of trademark saves. The counter-attacks were determined but limited in success. Bayfield was dogged up front with Mehta, but the Rangers defence seemed to be a yard quicker and a tackle better than Edgware throughout the first 30mins. At the back, the ‘Wares soaked up pressure, with Novick, Gordon, Bhatti, Cadwallader, Zabeti and O’Callaghan putting up a now familiar defence. As the half progressed, Edgware found their feet, with Segal and Parsa coming close. If it were a boxing match, Rangers were ahead on points but Edgeware had won the last couple of rounds.

Just before half-time, Bayfield refused to give up on a ball by the corner flag, and won possession. Enfield thought the ball had gone out, and stood down. The Wares, however, played to the whistle. Bayfield released Mehta, who made it 1-0 on the stroke of half-time. It was against the run of play, but not undeserved.

Enfield came out in the second half with a point to prove, and a sense of injustice. They launched wave upon wave of attacks, but saw few real chances due to a herculean defence. For 30 minutes Edgware had their backs to the wall, but they would not let Enfield pass. Everyone deserves a mention, but two incidents are worthy of note. The first involved one of the few times Enfield broke through the Edgware line, with their striker charging on goal. Cadwallader used his pace to come from his own half, and did just enough to put him off. Kaye deflected the resulting shot, and for good measure Cadwallader cleared the ball off the line as Enfield looked to follow up. The second incident was a superb string of crunching tackles in midfield to frustrate the ‘away’ team, with almost every outfield ETFC player involved. Admittedly it ended in a foul, but the ‘home’ crowd Ole’d every tackle. It ended 1-0, but this game will be remembered for the defending as much as the scoreline.

MoTM: Another team performance makes it tough to single out any one player. Kaye was shielded by his back line, but when called into action he stunned and frustrated the opposition. Bhatti was in his element, marshalling the backline and making the big tackles. O’Callaghan was given the unenviable role of marking Enfield’s most fearsome player, which he did with steely success. But the award goes to both Cadwallader and Zabeti who gave 110% for the cause.

Edgware Town U12

ETFC u12s lost 1-2 to Oaklands Wolves in a hastily rearranged red division fixture given the unplayable pitches at Queens. Frustratingly, after waking up on a Sunday morning with a full squad (4 subs), we started the game with just 1 sub and ended it with no subs! We took the lead after just 12 seconds, James Keegan capitalising on a hesitant defence to open the scoring with a well-taken finish. Both teams tried hard to play passing football in very tough conditions, both a heavy pitch and a howling wind but were unable to create any further clear-cut chances before half-time. We knew the 2nd half would be tough playing into a strong wind, which became even tougher after Oli Bregman was unable to continue after half-time following a groin injury, leaving us with no subs. Notwithstanding, the boys put in a massive effort in the 2nd half as conditions deteriorated further and they had to contend with driving rain and an even stronger wind. Given the conditions, we found it tough to create sustained attacks but we defended well and made ourselves tough to break down. Without being able to bring on fresh legs, the pressure eventually proved too much and we conceded 2 goals to fall 1-2 behind. The boys kept working hard until the final whistle and with a bit of luck could’ve found an equaliser in the final few minutes. We had 2 free kicks in an around the box which both narrowly missed the target. The loss was difficult to take given the effort of the boys in tough conditions with a thin squad. Excellent performances at full-back by MOTM Zac Green and Jadon Lee. Alfie Mattiucci at right mid and James Keegan (CAM) and Kyle Larkin (CDM) also worked tremendously hard to support the defence and create opportunities on attack.

Edgware Town U15

Top of Table clash today in very windy conditions
Some good football nonetheless and went behind 0 -1 (against the run of play).. recovered to score Great Team Goal 1 – 1 Half Time … On the front foot in second half and deservedly scored another Fantastic pass + move Team Goal which started from the Goalkeeper 2 –1 … missed 2 Absolute Sitters … Then paid the price & WINGATE scored with a minute to Go 2 – 2
The Boys went straight on the attack which resulted in a corner … Great Ball in from the right + EDGWARE headed in 3 –2 .. Kick Off… Then FINAL Whistle… Fantastic never say die attitude from the Boys and Deserved their WIN.
3 Points and strong at the Top.